Keys: Residents will be assigned a set of keys, keys must be returned after your field season. Keys may be returned in the lock box upon departure.
No smoking: Smoking is not permitted in the buildings, on the deck, or on the grounds except in the designated smoking area in the parking lot.
Parking: Residents should park their cars in front of the dorm building, in the grassy area near the dumpsters or in the area near the A-B suites. Please do not park in front of the lab building.
Quiet hours: 10pm to 6am, including porches.
No pets: Pets are not allowed in the housing facility, on the deck, or on the grounds.
Drugs & alcohol: The ABCRC is part of the University of Virginia and adheres to the rules and policies of the University regarding alcohol and drugs, including but not limited to: 1) Persons who are not 21 years of age may not purchase, possess, or consume alcoholic beverages. 2) Alcoholic beverages shall not be sold or served to any individual who appears or is intoxicated. 3) The complete University of Virginia alcohol and drug policy is available at http://www.virginia.edu/registrar/records/98gradrec/chapter4/gchap4-2.3.html
See also Laboratory Policies
- Lab space may be reserved for individual use. The site director can also orient you to shared use space and supplies.
- All staff and residents using the labs are responsible for locking the outside door, turning off lights when not in use, and taking excess refuse to the dumpsters.
- Labs should be thoroughly cleaned before departure. No personal items, personal research equipment, or personal supplies should be stored in the labs after the conclusion of your field season. Apparently abandoned laboratory supplies will be disposed of.
- No food or drink is allowed in bedrooms. Water is permitted.
- Do not move furniture or kitchen items between rooms or suites.
- Do not wear field footwear in dorm suites.
- Overnight guests are not permitted in the dorm rooms without prior approval of ABCRC staff.
- Linens: Linens are provided. Residents should bring their own towels for the field. Do NOT take linens for field work. Do NOT take linens that are bundled on empty beds. If you need additional linens, ask a member of the staff. Soiled linens (with the exception of mattress pads and gray blankets) should be put in the hamper. Under no circumstance should the hamper be overflowing. Please take full soil bag to the side porch, near the A Suite (end of building away from the lab). Sanitary Linen picks bags up on Wednesday mornings.
- Kitchen Cleanliness: Wash all dishes immediately after preparing your meal. Do not leave dirty dishes in the sink. Keep sinks and counters free of spills and crumbs.
- Refuse Management: Residents are responsible for taking their trash and recycling to the dumpsters. All residents and staff are expected to participate in recycling. Refuse should be handled daily, do not leave this task for the ABCRC weekly cleaning crew. Recycle plastics marked #1 and #2 only, no plastic bags!
- Note room conditions and arrangement upon arrival; rooms should be thoroughly cleaned and left in their prior condition before departure. Remove all food from the refrigerator and cabinets. No personal items or research equipment may be stored in the dorm rooms after moving out. Any damage (beyond normal wear and tear) to the structure itself or the furniture within is the responsibility of the residents to pay damages before departing.
When you depart the facilities (end of visit):
- Remove all personal gear and food from the facility.
- Place all used linens and towels in the laundry hamper in each suite.
- Turn off all lights, faucets, and electrical appliances.
- Close and lock all doors and windows.
- Clean up after yourself (wash and put away dishes, wipe counters, sweep/mop floors).
- Empty trash cans and recycling (dumpsters are behind the parking area).
- Return keys (place in drop box for after-hours departures).
- Notify ABCRC staff of any problems.
Remember that dorms are shared spaces. Please be a courteous neighbor!