Planning, Documents, & Policies

Please review our station policies regarding operations during COVID-19.

Field safety overview and planning:

Essential information for accessing our station and nearby field sites is provided in this field safety overview document. Additional sections (highlighted in yellow) should be discussed and completed by individual research groups.

More detailed field safety information is included in plans developed by VCR LTER for each primary ecosystem on the coast:

Barrier Islands —————– Lagoon —————- Marsh and Forest

Here are research community-sourced Field Gear Recommendations for working in ecosystems of the VCR LTER.

Permitting & site-selection:

When conducting work on the barrier islands, be aware that each island is subject to different use policies and permitting structures. Here is an overview of the nuanced requirements. Additional details are available at

TNC permits – for intertidal or higher work on Nature Conservancy lands

Oyster grounds + usage (map)

Shellfish grounds, habitat permits + more from VMRC (map)

+ more information about oyster leases from VMRC

SAV + usage (map)

Protected lands map layer for ESVA

Tide visualization (next 36 hours) from VIMS

Note that work with fauna requires DGIF (terrestrial) or VMRC (marine) permits. All permits should be in place before you begin fieldwork. See the Information for Researchers tab for additional information on island closures and access restrictions during the summer nesting season.

Real time water quality data in southern VCR coastal lagoons


Facilities & fieldwork:

Facilities Use Agreement

Laboratory policies

Best Practices: Fieldwork & Boating

Policies for Researchers in Residence and Other Visitors